Saturday, July 24, 2010

Gloomy Silhouettes


By
Sadaf Fayyaz

I am shadow of an ordinary looking girl. I am happy as far as she works hard, studies well and prays to God. I often see her doing things forcibly, that she doesn’t want to do. I get hurt over it. Her mother is worried about her marriage. Every time, whenever someone comes to meet her, she decks her in expensive jewelry and bright clothes. She presents her before people that she has never seen in her life. I wish I was never a part of her. I want her to be independent to make her own decisions. She eats what she like, she wears the dress of her choice, but is forced to come before people like this in order to get approved. This has happened so many times, that people come to her place, eat, drink and leave. When everyone leaves, she comes to her room and sits quietly for hours on her chair. I can’t even say a soothing word to her. But being a meager shadow, I can’t help her.
I am shadow of an old lady. She is nice, cultured and good. She has to young sons and is trying to find girls for them. As far as her choice is concerned, she almost rejects every girl. She has rejected so many girls; some on the basis of faces and some on the basis of wealth. I can’t stop her from doing all this. I hate her at times and wish that I weren’t a part of her.
I am shadow of a doctor. His job is to treat his patients well, make the correct diagnosis, and take good care of his patients. At times, he is so careless about his profession that he gives wrong ample to his patients. Patients suffer because of his careless attitude. He is only interested in treating wealthy patients and charging good money from them. I see some caring and kind-hearted practitioners and pray if I were a shadow of them. This doctor is just a butcher. I can’t stop him from showing careless attitude. He has no fear of God.
You may like to write my story. I am shadow of head of an educational institution. I am happy to see students studying hard and taking care of their scores and conduct. I feel hurt when I come across some cases of harassment, nepotism and discrimination among students. The Head at times acts like a puppet: he is compelled to assign good grades to influential students. He even has to give admissions to some students from influential backgrounds, on just receiving a telephone call from some influential figure. He hates it and is only a puppet. I can’t stop him from doing the wrong.
I am shadow of a suicide bomber. I hate him that he doesn’t hold any regard for his fellow being and takes their lives. He doesn’t love his brethren. I wish that he had attended some school and had a regard for humanity and life. I can’t stop him from creating so much bloodshed and destruction. I wish I were never a part of him.
I am shadow of a prostitute. I hate her for that she does. I wish she could have adopted a nice and decent living style. I hate her for doing all this and wish I was never her shadow.
I am shadow of a teacher. I feel unhappy when she assigns grades to her students and favors some of them. She is not fair. I know being the closest to her, which student deserved which grade. She assigns A to a student who deserved B, on the basis of partiality. I wish I were shadow of an honest and just teacher.
I am shadow of an HR person. He holds a lot of responsibility. He designs wrong kind of ads, and rejects people on the basis of caste, race and religion. He has terminated so many people by creating false reports against them. I can’t stop him from doing wrong and cheating people.
I am shadow of a marriage bureau consultant. The lady only makes money and runs her home like this. I know that she is a big fraud and a big liar, but can’t do anything about it. Shadows don’t speak, they can only see. She takes a good amount of money from both the families and never contacts them back. She always tells people, ‘well, I tried a lot to find a suitable match for your kid,’ Folks, she is a cheat. I know that she has never contacted any one. Who else can be closer than a shadow? I wish I weren’t with her. I have to obey her and do whatever she does. I can’t contradict nor stop her.
Hi, I am shadow of a laborer,,,,,, Hi, I am shadow of a film star,,,, Hi, I am shadow of CEO of a multinational……Hi, I m shadow of an artist………Hey, would you record my story,,, I am shadow of a singer…… So many shadows and so many stories to record: My pen doesn’t have that much ink…..So many shadows…………..So many stories……………

No comments:

Post a Comment